Cathy van Eck - feedback performance art
Renowned feedback artist Cathy van Eck is in Leeds on Nov 2–3rd for a talk, workshop, and concert of feedback music performance.
- Talk on Feedback Artists: Weds (Nov 2nd) 3–5:00 in Lecture Theatre 1 (School of Music)
- the talk is streaming on Microsoft Teams here.
- Feedback workshop for students: Thurs (Nov 3rd) 11–1:00 in Clothworkers Concert Hall (School of Music)
- Concert: Thurs (Nov 3rd) 5:30–6:30 in Clothworkers Concert Hall (School of Music)
- performances by Cathy, and feedback pianist Kate Ledger, and David Riedstra plays his ‘haptic box‘.
Cathy focuses on composing relationships between everyday objects, human performers, and sound. Her artistic work includes performances with live-electronics and installations with sound objects which she often designs herself. She is interested in setting her gestures into relationships with sounds, mainly by electronic means. The result could be called “performative sound art”, since it combines elements from performance art, electronic music, and visual arts.
She also has an amazing book called Between Air and Electricity that documents approaches to feedback and other uses of loudspeakers and microphones as instruments. Her work documents the field of practice around taking these objects beyond their functional use as capture and projection of sound, and brings their forces and affordances into lively interaction, where air is the medium for vibration and resonance.